Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Create Anchors for Embellishments

Are you addicted to embellishments as much as I am? There are so many amazing embellishments in the November Scrapbook Kit and I simply want to use them all - die cuts, stickers, chipboard, enamel dots, paper bow clips and more.

My desire to use way too many embellishments on my layouts has made it necessary to create some go-to page designs in my scrapbook repertoire that allow me to do just that - use way too many embellishments. These page designs focus on creating "anchors". A place where an embellishment can naturally be nestled or layered - not just floating in background paper space. 


One of the page designs I use often is this layered circle look. So simple! I cut a variety of sized circles (just the outline in this case but the full circle works too) of matching patterned papers (usually from scraps) and layer the circles down or across or diagonally on the page. For this layout, I layered the circles down the right-hand side and used one large circle on the left to sort-of frame my main 4x6 photo and give the layout some balance. You could also create a pattern of circles on the entire background - this is especially fun for bathtime photos, sort of like bubbles!

Once your circles are down, add you photos - I like to use a little foam to pop the photos up a little so they do not get lost in what will be embellishment organized chaos - and then start embellishing! Just make sure some edge of the embellishment is touching or "anchored" on one of the circles. Don't stop embellishing until you think you have way too many ... add a few more, then stop. 




You will notice I kept the background paper pretty plain on this layout - I knew I would have lots going on with the way too many embellishments and the circles so chose one of the Simple Stories, Winter Farmhouse coordinating dot papers from the kit as the background. I love how the simple and faint dots of the background paper also add another circle element.  

Don't have a circle cutter? Do not fret. This "anchor" concept can be created with squares of pattern paper, strips of paper (try washi or the banding strip), or stamp some words or phrases. I also love hand-drawn circles for this concept! Simply grab a few different sized cups, put them mouth down and trace with a black journaling pen - trace each a few times and make one of the lines a little less perfect than the others to give it a little something-something. 

Thanks for stopping by - I hope you are having a great December! 


No comments: