Thursday, December 3, 2009

On the Second Day of Christmas....

...we enjoyed a beautiful holiday tradition from Jen...

“If you’re anything like me you enjoy the traditions of the holiday season. One tradition I grew up with and have carried over into my own family is that of Christmas Crackers at the Christmas Dinner table. It is a non-negotiable staple, and we all have to wear our goofy paper crowns while we dig into our turkey and trimmings. I thought it would be fun to make some Christmas Crackers from scratch. It’s a super easy craft and great for using up some scraps. All you need is a toilet paper roll, some snaps (I got mine at Michael’s) and some paper and ribbon. You’ll also need something fun to put inside, like coins, key chains, hair barrettes, small toys (cars), candy, lotto ticket, etc.

To begin, you’ll need a toilet paper roll and a sheet of patterned paper (PP) - thinner is easier.

Depending on the size of your snaps and how big you want your crackers to be, you’ll have to adjust your sizes accordingly. My snaps were 10” long so I wrapped my toilet paper roll in a 11"x7” piece of PP.

Next trick is to place the snap in the center of the cracker roll so it’s running from end to end. Tie a ribbon around one end of the cracker, just past the border of the cardboard roll on the inside.

Now comes time to fill it, place whatever fun trinket you’ve decided on in the roll and then tie the remaining end closed with more ribbon. Voila! You have a Christmas Cracker! These are also fun for New Year’s parties. Enjoy and have a wonderful holiday season.”

Here is Jen's beautiful Christmas cracker!

I know what I'll be making this weekend; what about you?

Don't forget to link me up to your finished projects for an extra ballot:-)

9 comments:

Neisey said...

I've had the snappers since before we moved here (so before Christmas '04) and have yet to make these...I am determined to make them this year. thanks for the inspiration! Very cute!

Lorraine said...

We always have Christmas crackers. I love that tradition. I haven't been able to find snaps yet though. Love your's Jen!

Anonymous said...

Oh yuppers.. I have 13 people coming for Christmas Dinner and this way I can personalize them what a great idea..
thanks for the ideas Jenn
Laurie
(Wally)

Jess said...

Love this project Jen! I can make them coordinate with my place cards!

Anyone know where I could find those stupid paper hats to stuff in them???

Anonymous said...

These are great Jen...I would never have thought to make my own, but now! It would really set off the Christmas family dinner..thanks for the inspiration

--tammy

Heather M. said...

these are soooo cute, jen! we always have these at my mil's but i never thought about making them!

Ellen said...

very cute cracker Jen!
I can remember a christmas or too where we have the hats on our heads as well! brings back good memeories!

Wendance Designs said...

Cute cracker!!! We used to have crackers with our Christmas dinner every year. My aunt used to send homemade ones and they were personalized with a little gift for each of us, inside.

Dot said...

We always had crackers growing up and I have fond memories of paper hats, cute little prizes and the pop of crackers with my cousins, although we always saved them for New Year's Eve