Monday, April 22, 2019

Get Your Glitter On

The April 2019 Scrapbook Kit included a eye catching, totally dazzling piece of 12x12 teal glitter cardstock from Best Creations. Stunning in colour, in glitter-ness and wow! As gorgeous as it is though sometimes these full sheets of brilliance can be a bit intimidating to work with - I hear yah, they are for me too.

So, I am here to share how I use amazing product like this in a way that adds subtle pops of shine to my layouts but does not take over the whole design. Instead of using the full sheet of glitter or making it really prominent on a few layouts, I challenged myself to use a little bit on each layout. I love the idea of a challenge - even the ones I create for myself! Here we go ...

First up I created a circle infused layout and used the glitter paper as one of the smaller circles to give each of the clusters a little extra texture and shine. Amidst all the other patterns, watercolor stickers, Nuvo Crystal Drops (Calming Aqua), string and more the glitter is a nice fit and doesn't overwhelm. I adore this photo of me, my little brother and my nephew from my wedding day!



Next up I used the glitter to mat a photo. Just a thin mat to draw the eye to the photo not overwhelm it. I love how it looked against this black and white photo of my husband and I at our wedding - you may have guessed glasses were being tinked during this moment! I used a free Cocoa Vanilla Studio Cut File to create those flowers behind the photo. They are designed to match the Happiness collection which was a big part of the Scrap Shotz kit this month. 



I had so much over on the left of this layout that I decided to do a little peek a boo tear on the right side for balance and popped some glitter up behind that to give it a little shine too. 

I love this trick for bringing balance to a layout or to just add something to catch the eye in a 'white' space. Just make a little tear, fold it back, adhere it in some way (I tend to use staples) and pop another pattern in the hole you created. Sometimes its fun to use this little tear as an anchor for an embellishment cluster as you will see I have done in one of the layouts below.  


For my next two layouts I was all about layering - and used the glitter paper as one of them. Just a little pop here and there to give the design a little something more than a pattern or cardstock paper can do.  

This first one it is just a small layer where there is a bit of gap behind the ripped pattern paper on the left and then balanced that with a couple of punched hearts on the right. Adding this teal colour to the layout also give me "design permission" to use some of the blue hearts from the stickers in the kit and add some dimension with the teal Nuvo dots in the kit too! 



Last but not least, I went layer crazy! I just love this photo of our wee puppy sleep smiling - maybe because its the only peace and quiet our house gets these days with a new puppy or maybe because I think her little puppy teeth look like wee planted hearts. Or both! No matter the reason this photo needed a couple of glitter layers because why wouldn't you!? 



Are you part of our kit club? We would love to see how you used the glitter paper this month. If you have had a chance to play, pop it up on our Scrap Shotz Facebook Group or tag us on Instagram. There are so many great ways to use this paper  - we would love to see yours! 

Want more information about this month's kit? Please swing over to the Scrap Shotz online store to see all the beauty in the April 2019 Kit don't forget the amazing Add-Ons too! Interested in more glitter cardstock? There are many colours available from Best Creations in the Scrap Shotz store. 

Thanks for swinging by and happy glitter paper crafting!










No comments: