Friday, March 20, 2020

Simple Mixed Media

I am playing with some of the Vicki Boutin, Let's Wander collection - this is the line we are featuring in our kits this month and I got a few of the goodies to play with. I love it as much as I knew I would! This collection is so colourful and so busy (in a good way). With this kit, you can get away with keeping things really simple and still creating a layout with lots to look at.



I started this layout with the sunburst rainbow design in the 12x12 paper pad. Inspired by the rainbow look, I took the star 12x12 paper and started fussy cutting. Focusing on the stars that had the same colour tones as the rainbow burst and making sure to cut a few of all the different sizes - I spent a couple of Parks & Recreation episodes sitting on the couch cutting stars. Binge-watching and fussy cutting are like peas and carrots!

From there I laid out the stars on the rainbow burst using tone on tone. Sitting back, I felt like I needed some mixed media -  not too much though there was a lot going on...So I stamped a few stars from the matching stamp & die set with the collection to bring a little pop of black behind the star clusters. Then using my journal and a ruler created a grid pattern sort of like a graph paper design to anchor my photos and then a little bit more up top off the edge.





To finish off my background, I did just a tiny bit of black splatters and then layered it all back on. I used foam adhesive on a few of the stars to give it all some dimension. 

I really love how it turned out! The muted colours of this collection and pops of black with the star stamps and grid design giving it just a touch of black - made it fun busy, not too busy! 





No comments: