Monday, May 25, 2020

Add One More Colour for a Little Pop

This month I am playing with the bright and fun goodies of the Simple Stories, Summer Farmhouse  - think reds, yellows, dark blue denim, florals, and backyard BBQs for this collection!

When I say this collection is bright, I mean BRIGHT - beautiful, bold, primary colours. Everything you want in a summertime collection and then some. 

Full disclosure ... this is when the rebel in me comes out. When I get something really feminine, I want to see if I can make a super boy page OR when I get something really bright, I want to see if I can create a soft page. Well that second one is what I embarked on with this layout.

I started my rebellious journey with a piece of Vicki Boutin, Foundations Paper some Vicki Boutin Crayons, and, yes you guessed it, one of Vicki Boutin's stencils. (All from the Scrap Shotz shop which I know are hard to keep in stock - so grab em when you can! I think some of the warm tones Crayons are in stock - these are the ones I used here.) I used the stencil to create just some soft pink and peach designs on about a third of the page, just enough to bring some slight colour and a little touch of design to the white space.


Simply colour with one of the crayons on a mat or piece of plastic, spray one spray of water on the end of the brush, rub the brush over the colour you roughly put down on that plastic, and then in small circles rub it through the stencil on the page. Magic!

From there, I cut a massive lemon out of one of the yellow pattern paper in the collection. I found this lemon in the Silhouette, Design Store. Why a lemon you ask? I wanted to use the soft-toned lemons in the stickers, chipboard and die cuts from the collection to support my rebellion, and I needed a layout to document this photo of me and my bestie and the daily Lemon Radlers we drank on Spain and Portugal Camino!

With the lemon, my photos, and all of the soft-toned embellishments from the collection al adhered down, I liked it - it was soft and not awful .. but I didn't love it.


Well this is when you text a photo to your sister and ask her "what's bugging me about this?" and she says MORE RED!  Do not tell her I told you this .. she was right!

I went through all the collection goodies and added all of the red bits, a few more blue phrases too, a couple of white phrases too and then pulled some red enamel dots from my stash to finish it off. (You can buy the actual matching Simple Stories, Summer Farmhouse enamel dots in the store.)







So much for my soft-toned rebellion!

For additional inspiration or to see more of the Summer Farmhouse collection, check out the Facebook Live unboxing and process video I did on Sunday morning over on the Scrap Shotz Facebook group.

Thanks for stopping by - if you are using this collection, give us a @scrapshotz or #scrapshotz tag on social media so we can see!


No comments: