Monday, April 6, 2015

Fabulous Find: Ombre Backgrounds

As you know I peruse various blogs like Jennifer McGuire and Pinterest...and I also watch oodles of videos on YouTube by manufacturers and craft reviewers. Why? Because I love to see what new products are coming to Scrap Shotz, check out the latest trends and even more, I love to see how other artists use the product creatively. All that inspiration incites me to create, create, create!!!

One of the recent techniques I have seen is Ombre Colouring or Ombre Stamping. Hero Arts recently released a set of ombre stamp pads - very very cool! It made me wonder how I could achieve a similar result using inks and colours I already had on hand.

I decided to use my Tim Holtz distress inks because I adore how fabulously they blend. As well, I love how distress inks react with water. If I decided to add an extra subtle shimmer with my Ranger Perfect Pearls, it would be easy to do. In the end, I did not add any Ranger Perfect Pearls but a girl likes to have that option! (*wink* *wink*)

Using Tattered Rose, Worn Lipstick and Pickled Raspberry, I applied colour to a piece of white cardstock. I made sure to have visible areas where the blended inks appeared so in essence, I wanted to see 5 gradations of colour on my background. Once the colour was applied, I quickly heat set the inks.

In the interim, I used my Spellbinders Shapeabilities - Floral die to die cut an intricate overlay for the ombre background. Then I adhered the overlay to the ombre background using a nominal amount of liquid adhesive, to not activate the distress inks. A few Prima gems and a quick sentiment the card was finished. I am happy with the results.



Supplies:  Bazzill (white cardstock); Tim Holtz (distress inks); Prima (gems); Close to my Heart (sentiment stamp)

Do you like the ombre trend???


3 comments:

Rosie said...

I'm going to have to give this a try, love your card!

Anonymous said...

I totally love the ombre trend!! Pretty card. Connie V

Stacy V said...

I see some techniques and cuts I need to try out!