Thursday, April 8, 2010

Copic Thursday - Coloring with Reds and Pinks

The Reds and Pinks family is a gorgeous set of colours but it can be very challenging to master these colours.


Some tips that helped me are:

The red and darker pinks react differently to the Colourless Blender than other Copic marker colours. Not all the colour is "erased" (for lack of a better word); there is almost always a residual colour.

When colouring with reds and pinks, pay extra attention to colouring TO the line of the image rather than ONTO the line of the image.

Blend, blend, blend...red is a strong colour and can overpower the adjoining colours.

There are a few tutorials that I found to be helpful.

Sharon Harnist #1
Sharon Harnist #2
Suzanne Dean #1
Suzanne Dean #2

Here are my samples.

Colours used are: E55, E57, E59, Y11, Y15, RV02, R17, R89, YR21, R01, B32, B34, B37, C00.

I started out small to get the hang of things and practice my fur colouring. I had a wee bit of trouble with the shadowing :oops:

Then I moved out to a flower and a few butterflies to build my confidence.



And here are a couple of Magnolias dressed in pink and red. Again, I wasn't thrilled with the shadows as I was getting obsessed with the reds and pinks techniques. :roll: :oops:




Here is a sample from the fabulous Lorraine!


Hair is E08, E37, E97. Dress is R24, R27, R59.


I hope to see your Copic creations using Red and Pink!

1 comment:

Maggie Fernandes said...

Reds and pinks....Have to place another order..Thanks for your inspiration V.