Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Take a Hike, Inspired by a Shape




Another fun collection Scrap Shotz sent me to play with is the ‘Take A Hike’ collection from Reminisce. I have never had the pleasure of playing with one of the Reminisce collections and I have been missing out - such fun! 

One of the bits of a collection or kit I generally check out first are the die cuts - my favourite! While the Reminisce collections don’t seem to come with die cuts they sure come with some fantastic stickers on a 12x12 sheet (which I popped onto some white cardstock and fussy cut to make die cuts) and cut apart pocket cards (which I fussy cut the images from). A couple of episodes of Departures and some fussy cutting scissors and I now have Take a Hike die cuts. Perfect! 

Circles ... 

For my first layout I was inspired by all the fantastic circles in the collection - mostly from the sticker sheet but some are fussy cut too. Using the Take a Hike circles and some circle stamps in my stash, I created a messy circle infused pattern -working to cover the full background. I stamped some word phrases in and around the clusters of circles and added done green paint to give it even more mess. 

When I went to add my photos to the layout it made sense to continue the circle theme for at least some of them. So those that were far away pics of our crew hiking, looking down at my boots, or a landscape shot I made them circles and added them into the background pattern. 


I topped off the layout with a 4x6 feature picture of myself - this is my happy place. Fresh air, hiking boots on, tech gear, good weather and a trail and friends around me. 

For the title  I used ‘Hiking’ (nothing like stating the obvious eh!) which I fussy cut from on of the large stickers in the kit. I love how bold the title is, even with so much going on in the background. 

To finish it off, I added some black splatters and a few wood veneer bits from my stash. 

Chevrons... 

For my next page, I started by with chevrons. A couple of the stickers had some great patterns - a brown/tan compass pattern, and a French topographic map. You had me at map and compass! I popped these onto cardstock and then using a chevron stamp from my stash I punched as many as I could for my background. More die cuts! 

Keeping most of my design to the right of the page, I set up the chevrons to look like short stripes out both sides of this 4x6 portrait oriented photo. I liked this stripe idea so I kept building on that with the stickers and fussy cut pieces I made into die cuts from the collection. 

From there it was just a lot of fun tucking some patterns here and there, adding a few tree stamps where I had a gap in the chevrons and of course some splatters. This is a hiking photo after all - a little mess is expected. 

For my title I couldn’t resist grabbing the Kaisercraft Chipboard Alphas in the shop that I have been loving playing with. So fun! I covered each with a green/blue Bazzil Cardstock scrap from my stash (most than likely from a past Scrap Shotz kit!) and stamped them each a few times with that tree stamp for a slight pattern. I did the same for a few arrows from the chipboards too and placed those at the top and bottom of my layer of strips around the photo. 


For the finishing touch I messy cut a little bit of each side of the white cardstock away, roughed up the edges with my distress tool and placed the whole thing down on a Mysterious Teal, Bazzil Cardstock. I love how this gives the whole thing a bit of a frame - really drawing the eye to the center. 

I still have loads to play with in the Take a Hike collection and see a grid layout in its future ... 

Thanks for stopping by! 



 



No comments: