Thursday, October 24, 2019

Family Quilt - Carta Bella Title Page

Hello! Brande here showcasing the October Scrapbook Kit inspired by the amazing Carta Bella, Home Again collection.

When this Carta Bella inspired kit showed up on my doorstep this month I knew I finally had the goodies I needed to get to that family heritage album I have been thinking about! I have all these amazing black and white photos of my grandparents from their lives before I was around or even before my father (their son) was around and I had planned to document them all in mini-album - now in progress! 

In my next blog post, I will have lots of album pages to show you but I thought I would reserve this post to show you the title page I made for the album that I am just so excited about... 

When I think of my grandparents I think of quilts, homemade food, the country, nothing too fussy, down to earth, smell of Old Spice and Lavender! So as I started to think about a title page for this album I wondered if I could create something resembling a quilt - and I think it worked! 


I think this title page looks pretty fancy (if I do say so myself), I am here to admit it was so super easy to make! We are talking just 3 steps and some embellishment fun. No joke. 

Step 1: select a bunch of different pattern papers (or scraps) from your kit and cut them into 2x2 squares. You could scale this size up or down if you want smaller or bigger squares and definitely go a little larger if you are working with a 12x12 album. I am working with a 6x8 album so I went with 2x2.


Step 2: create a tight grid on your background paper with the squares. You could do a diagonal design like I did or keep it all absolutely square - both would look amazing. I am awful at getting things in a straight line, so I tend to tilt all things a little to avoid trying. Having said that I still needed a ruler - I drew straight lines on the page at an angle, glued on the squares and then erased the pencil lines you could between see in the grid squares. 


Step 3: sew lines down the square pattern papers to create that grid-like look or what I think looks likes a quilt. We just bought a sewing machine earlier this year, in its absence or if you do not have one - consider creating a delicate dashed line with a journaling pen to mimic the stitching. This honestly looks so great as well! 


Step 4: embellish! I didn't want to take too much away from the quilt design so I kept my embellishments really simple. Some alphas, a couple of stickers and a few enamel dots from the kit - done! 



If you give a quilt design a go on your projects, we would love to see it! Tag us on social media #scrapshotz so we can leave our love for your crafty-ness.

Thanks for stopping by and happy crafting! 




1 comment:

Glenda a. said...

Got my kit too and was wondering what everyone was creating! This is a beautiful cover and I look forward to seeing the completed album. Great instructions. Thanks for sharing.