Monday, April 23, 2018

April 2018 Kit - 1 Canoe 2 Twilight Layouts

Hi there!

Today, I am sharing two layouts made with the beautiful April Kit featuring 1 Canoe 2 Twilight.  Oh, my!  These papers are just gorgeous!!

The kit includes a specialty water colour paper, and that was the one I had to start with. I will say that there is a bit of a learning curve on this paper, but I am so happy with the effect. Unlike most water colour, this paper has some kind of coating on it.  I tried to use the technique of adding water first to a section and then add the watercolour paint.  However, it would just pool and not sink in.  I figured out that it works best just using a small amount of watercolour paint and no extra water.  I don't have very fancy paints (just Michael's brand), so that might have been the problem.  And it was difficult to keep the paint from covering the gold resist areas.  So, after hours of painting, this is the hot mess I got.


I was in deep now, so I kept going.  Using a very small paint brush and water, I cleaned up the resist areas. It was painstaking.  LOL! But it worked like a charm.  Once it was all dry, I fussy cut the entire design from the white background and mounted it on a piece of the patterned paper.



The flower was a lot of embellishment already, so I just added a few of the die cut embellishments included in the kit. The butterfly is fussy cut from one of the cut apart sheets. The alpha title is made from Pink Paislee Pick Me Up Thickers and mini tile stickers from my stash. I added some black splatters, sequins and some Stickles to finish everything off.

I was pretty spent working for hours on the first layout, so my next page needed to be quick. That's when the large print paper comes in handy.  I have to admit that I think this paper is so beautiful, I was tempted to just put in in a frame and use it as art.  ;)


The nice thing about using a paper like this, is that you don't have to make the page too complicated.  I didn't want to hide it with a bunch of "stuff". The photo is mounted on some patterned paper and cardstock and embellished with some of the diecuts.  The little wood veneer fireflies are so darn cute!! I added some gold Heidi Shine and some Nuvo drops from the kit to tie in the "fireflies" from the grass area on the paper, to the cluster at the top.  I used a few word strips from the March kit to finish everything off.

I just love the projects I made with this collection.  Be sure to check out the April kit in the store for all the details.

Thanks for looking!
Sylvie


1 comment:

Rosie said...

Wow, that paper is stunning!! Your effort on the watercolour paper is worth it, such a creative and fun layout!