Thursday, February 3, 2022

Simple Stories, Good Stuff

The Simple Stories, Good Stuff collection is just that - good stuff! Actually, great stuff! This collection features 12 fantastic pattern papers for the 12x12 scrappers and on the B side some amazing cut apart cards in 2 sizes for pocket scrappers. There is even a 4x6 calendar card for each month of the year for the project life folks too. 

When the Good Stuff goodies showed up at the door in my Scrap Shotz happy mail, I went straight for my fun and bright photos! The collection is all pinks and peach and mustard with pops of black and green. Fun photos it is. 

Numbers? Yes Please. 

Many of the Simple Stories collections have numbers in the Bits & Pieces (die cuts) set. They are so fun to play with. I have done a jumble of Simple Stories numbers before as an anchor for a photo and they are a great jumping off point to journal things like: # number of favourite moments from that memory or # reasons that you make me laugh, etc. For this layout I tucked in some journaling titled ‘12 weird things I love about our family’. I was laughing as I wrote them out. 

Pretty simple approach to this design. I added some white acrylic paint splatters to the pattern and used a film strip punch with vellum to anchor my photos. From them I literally tucked and played with the die cut numbers to make a jumbled mess around the photo, added some of the stickers form the 12x12 collection pack in and around the numbers and some of the enamel dots. 

To break up the busy green polka dot, I ripped a slim strip from the side and stapled on one of the stripe patterns to fill the gap. I love using this technique to bring in another, contrasting pattern. Tip: this is a great way to use a full length pattern branding strip you have left over! 

Envelopes? Of course. 


For my next layout I wanted create a ‘overflowing with cute’ design. So I reached for some fun filtered photos of my niece and made some little envelopes with the pattern paper from the collection. 

I don’t have an envelope punch board or die, so just took apart a small envelope I had in my scrappy space and traced it onto the pattern paper, cut it out, and folded it into an envelope-like shape. They are not perfect but I added so many die cuts you can’t tell. Tip: there are no imperfections on a layout, just opportunities to add a die cut! 

I prepped my background with a little Tim Holtz, Distress Ink in Picked Raspberry and the Heart Spiral Stencil from Peartree Cutfiles, and then a few white acrylic paint splatters. 

From there, I added my envelopes to the layout sort of overlapping each other a little to the left, and then started tucking and layering. I put a square or two of pattern papers in each envelope along with the photo - sort of a off kilter photo mat but also like a multi page letter. Then added all the floral bits from the die cuts and stickers,  some phrase stickers, and a few more die cuts to top it off. The finishing touch was the brads in a few little spots around the envelopes. 

Just before I set it aside, I felt the pink background was a bit too much - so ripped off a thin strip on the right and added a touch of a different pattern behind. Just like I did on the green polka dot layout above. Tip: if there is a design element you love, bring it into all the layouts your want. It’s not repetitive, it’s your signature touch! 

More pages in the making … 

Well I am off to make more good stuff with Good Stuff! If you are interested in playing with this collection, there are lots of goodies to choose from in the Scrap Shotz shop. Pop over and check them out at Simple Stories, Good Stuff 



No comments: