Monday, November 16, 2020

Christmas Cards - A First Time for Everything

This month Scrap Shotz sent me Kaisercraft Emerald Eve to play with - what a beautiful collection! All the great greens of Christmas with a touch of brown, cream and gold. The collection gives me a bit of a country feel but with a classic gold Christmas pop thanks to all the beautiful foiling. 

I was a bit torn on what to do with this collection actually. The design seemed to beautiful for my December Daily project (I tend to go on the sillier side because, well, my family is amazingly silly) and I was not quite ready to create Christmas pages. Then I came across a Christmas Card post on the Scrap Shotz Paper Crafting Group on Facebook and just like that, I was inspired! Wow there are some talented card makers in our scrappy community. 

Big caveat folks ... I have never made cards before! I find them really intimidating. Creating something you give away to others where they can see if my glue went over the edge or or or makes me a little nervous. So much more pressure than creating a page that sits in my album in my house! But wow do I love receiving homemade cards. So, give to the world what you hope to get back and all that right? 

To get me started, I scrolled and saved inspiration from cards posted on the Scrap Shotz Paper Crafting Group on Facebook and Scrap Shotz Instagram which included loads of ideas from our resident card making gurus Karla Yungwith and Rosie Neustedter. With my brain filled up on inspiration I laid out the collection and just stared to play - what fun! 

I had a few stencils on my desk, some Tim Holtz Distress Ink to shade the edges of the cards, for the stencils and to give some dimension to the fantastic wood veneer in the collection. I also grabbed the gold washi tape from the last couple of Vicki Boutin collections and that was my kit! 





Next will be to figure out who I can give all the homemade cards to. Maybe a local Long Term Care residence so the wee grams and gramps can send cards this year and not have to venture to the local card store to buy any. Hmm that's an idea. 

Are you a card maker? If you are like me and have never made cards before - honestly, do it! There is something so fun about making something smaller than my usual 12x12 and you don't have to match the design to a story or photo, its pure play! Crafty therapy at its best. 

Happy crafting!





No comments: