Monday, January 6, 2020

Wood Embellishments - Add Some Colour

Happy New Year! For those of you working this month to scrapbook all of your last month's memories - I am with you. While I do try and document daily in December, the actual scrapbooking in a traditional sense tends to happen in January and sometimes February too for me. I like drawing out the Christmas cheer a little longer!

I am currently playing with the Scrap Shotz December 2019 Scrapbook Kit which features the amazing collection from Kaisercraft called Starry Night. Wow, think blues and gold foil and beautiful. Included in the kit are a number of Bazzil Cardstock papers and one is called Stonehenge - think kraft married to the colour grey and then add some classic Bazzill texture - and I am totally crushing on this colour. So much so, it inspired this layout!


I was surrounded by the amazing gold foil papers of the Kit and still, it was the Stonehenge that caught my eye most. Funny! I love the soft tone of this colour (especially paired with a black and white photo) and how it really made the gold foil in the papers and die cuts from the Kit pop.

Loving the colour so much, I thought I would alter the wood veneers from the Kit with some paints from my stash to try and recreate it in my embellishments too. Queue Nuvo products! I reached for the Nuva Mica Mist, Antique Gold I had to get my hands on from the Scrap Shotz shop last month and started painting.




Tip: The benefit of wood veneer is that it is porous which means the colour you add from distress inks to Nuvo to watercolours to stamping pads will not look super bright on the first coat. Want a more subtle look like I did here - go with less (this is one coat). Want something a little brighter or bolder - use more paint or whatever product you are using to colour the wood veneer. 

To finish it all off - and is something I think I do on almost every Christmas inspired layout - I added some white acrylic paint splatters to give the layout some winter whimsy. 


I am working on a second layout now where I have painted numerous coats of the Nuvo Mica Mist on a chipboard embellishments to get a very, very gold colour and shine - once I have that little guy finished and its layout complete, I will be back here on the blog to share. 

Happy crafting! 




No comments: