Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Gingham Farm Layout with a Tutorial

Hello everyone!
I'm excited to be back again to show you more of the Gingham Farm collection by My Mind's Eye. This time I used a picture of my daughter's artwork. She drew some family portraits and they were so cute, I wanted to make sure I preserved them. I cropped the photographs I took of her artwork and placed them in frames or on journal cards. I realised that the stripped paper looked like wall paper so I decided to hang my pictures on a wall!
Step 1: Fussy cut the flowers.
Here is the paper with the flowers before I cut them out.
Here are the flowers cut out.
Step 2: Add a few pieces of chipboard on top.
Step 3: Crop the photos to fit the following frames. Add journaling cards to make them pop off the background. Add some die cuts and wood pieces. Poke a hole in each frame and add a brad so it looks like the frames are hanging on the wall.
Step 4: Add a border along the top. Use a thin strip of black cardstock to separate the border from the "wallpaper".
Step 5: Add a background rectangle of paper. I really hummed and hawed over whether to add this because I felt that all the black and white might get lost but I didn't want to have an awkward rectangle on my wall. In the end, I wanted some extra colour so I kept it.

Step 6: Add a title. These are Dear Lizzy Thickers that are also available in the Scrap Shotz shop. Just be careful not to bend them too much or the gold gets creases.
Step 7: Play around with the placement of your different pieces. The flowers above are in the brad set. The wood piece was to cover a word on the frame that didn't go with my theme.
Here is the result of moving things around to see how they looked.
Step 8: Add journaling and the date. I always do this. I keep scrapbooks by year so I need to have the date somewhere otherwise I can't remember where it goes.
I felt like the green rectangle looked like it was a bit misplaced so I thought I would do faux stitching with a pen around the border. However, I thought it might be fun to do something different so I used some black embroidery thread to make x's to make it look like the rectangle is part of the wall.
Here is the final layout again:
Aside from my daughter drawing my face with an insane sunburn, I like how it turned out.
Thanks for following along with me! Have a great day!



No comments: