Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sharing The Love!

Do you ever hear your loved ones saying, "Wow you sure have alot of scrapbook supplies!" or "What will you do with all that paper?" Well, this article is for you! I posed this question to Rebecca H. (needtime2scrap), an active member at Scrap Shotz. She was kind enough to not only show me how she "shares" her supplies with her family but also to be this week's Roving Reporter at Scrap Shotz. Thank you Rebecca!

Here is her reply to my question!

I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I have more scrapbooking supplies than I’ll ever use in my lifetime. Of course that doesn’t stop me from buying more! So I find new ways to use my supplies. One of those uses has been to create my own party decorations. I’ve made kid party decorations and adult party decorations, so really there aren’t any limitations.


The easiest decorations to make are making banners. We’ve all seen the pendant banners that are so trendy right now, they are super easy to make and add a fun festive flare. I decided to go a little bit further with that idea. I did use my Cricut for both projects but they can be done without an electronic or manual die cutter.


(Note from your friendly Blog Hostess - aren't these SO darn cute??????)

This banner was created using the Cricut but basically they are tags with Elmo eyes and noses attached to the top. I cut enough tags to use for each letter to spell Happy Birthday then hung them up.

For my husband’s 40th birthday I decided to cut out 40 cupcakes each with a photo of him on them. This took a bit of time but I did it over the course of 2 weeks. I scanned in old photos of him and reprinted them to use just in case of a photo mishap. You don’t want your originals out in the elements like that.





I also created a sign to welcome our guests at both parties. For my son’s (and nephew’s) we made a giant Elmo and for my husband’s I did a canvas with die cut letters. I used my Cricut and an EK Success large scallop border punch to create the scallop edging. The extra large canvases can be found at the dollar stores and reused for other projects.



A quick little extra was also creating my own party “loot” bags. I just purchased solid colored bags and added eyes and a nose to one side and a thank you printed from my computer on the other. You could also embellish them with paint and foam stamps, personalizing them for each child.



I decided to make use of all those cupcakes that I created. I hooked them up with a binder ring and I used them as pages for a mini tribute album for my husband. I just need to add journaling and a few embellishments and I’m done.
 
 



 
There are many other ways to use your scrapbooking supplies to add to your party decor, with invitations, center pieces using photos matted with cute scallop circles placed into a jar full of jelly beans or maybe create a journal that your guests could sign and give advice to the birthday girl or boy. The sky really is the limit! I can’t wait to see what you all come up with.
 
Don't you adore how Rebecca "shared her love of scrapbooking" with her family and friends??? Beautiful job Rebecca! Thank you for being our Roving Reporter this week!

2 comments:

Rosie said...

Wow!! Great report Rebecca! You sure got lots of mileage out of your Cricut! Love the idea to turn the banner cupcakes into a mini-album, genius!

Anonymous said...

great way to use up your stuff.