Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Fabulous Find: Faber Castell Gelatos

When I first heard the word, "Gelatos" I immediately thought of ice cream! That super smooth delicious cool taste with the gorgeous array of colours. Then I learned about gelatos by Faber Castell...well, I don't think my crafting area has been the same since.

Truthfully I don't know why I have never dabbled in the mixed media world of this wonderful hobby but I suspect it was fear. Fear that I wasn't an "Artiste." However I can honestly say that working with gelatos is so freeing. There is no right or wrong; it's all about creative expression and that in itself is freeing.

On YouTube and Faber Castell blog, there are oodles of tutorials, samples and videos. Check them out - it's a great way to spend a couple (um...a few!) hours of time. Over the next few blog posts, let me show you what you can do with the gelatos.

When I first began with the gelatos, I was wanted to become familiar with how the colour worked, not the blending or the other fancy techniques, just the application of colour. On the 2 coasters below, all I did was add colour in blocks, spritz with water, let it dry and then add a bit more colour for depth.

For this coaster, I coloured each leaf with green and some orange and then smooshed the colours together with a water brush. On the moulding paste created stars, I coloured directly on the paste with the gelatos.


Supplies:  Faber-Castell (gelatos), Maya Road (tree stamp, chipboard bird), Chatterbox (chipboard phrase, mini alphas)

On this coaster, I coloured the whole coaster purple, making some areas of the coaster heavier with colour. Again, it was spritzed with water and allowed to dry. After it dried, I added a smidgeon of blue to various places on the coaster. Then I coloured my "chicken wire pattern" stamp, spritzed with water and stamped. After it dried I added some flowers and various left over chipboard and stickers to the coaster.


Supplies:  Faber-Castell (gelatos), Making Memories (sticker); BasicGrey (rub on); Maya Road (chipboard dress form, butterflies); Hemptique (twine); Kiki Art (glitter chipboard heart); Prima (flowers); Kaisercraft (chicken wire stamp)

I hope you are inspired to get some gelatos and play too! (Check in a few days time to see some stamping with gelatos too!)



1 comment:

Rosie said...

Sweet projects Virginia! Looking forward to hearing about your experience with gelatos!